addalert addcircleoutline addlocation add arrow-down-left arrow-down-right arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up-right arrow-up ascent assessment bin bookmarkoutline calendar-add calendar camera caret-down caret-left caret-right caret-up check chevron-down chevron-right clock close cloud-upload cog collectionsbookmark content-view-grid content-view-list datacheckerflag1 datadownload data-upload descent directions expandhorizontal expand-horizontal-2 expand-horizontal expand-vertical eye-off eye fileadd1 filecopy filenew2 filestatisticadd2 filetaskssubtract file-images-upload fullscreenexit gauge groupadd heart home infooutline info link list-number location-pin lock logout map mobile morevertical mylocation navigateprevious navigation-drawer nearme noteadd pen pencil-write pencil personoutline pindrop place playcirclefilled playlistaddcheck power-button publish refresh remove return routes-favourites scissors search share starhalf staroutline star supervisoraccount synchronize2 text-redo time-upload timeline timer track-route trendingflat trendingup user-add users visibility vote-star-banner warning zoomin badge1 medal3 medal5 starbanner starcircle starsubtract

Lindsborg to Maxwell Wildlife Refuge

71 km Distance
290 m Ascent
290 m Descent

(1 rating)

This low traffic ride involves some hill climbing, but is well worth the views.  Pack a lunch and view the bison and elk herds at Maxwell Wildlife Refuge from the overlook tower.

The refuge is located in McPherson County about five miles south of Roxbury, along the beautiful Prairie Trail Scenic Byway. Its story began in 1859 when Henry Gault Maxwell drove a small herd of bison to the area and established a homestead. He later dreamed of preserving a piece of the prairie so future generations could experience what the region was like before it was settled. After the elder Maxwell’s death, his two sons became successful businessmen and never forgot their father’s dream. The last surviving son, Henry Irving Maxwell, crafted his will to fulfill his father’s vision. In 1943, Henry Irving Maxwell’s estate began purchasing land to create a wildlife refuge. In 1944, 2,560 acres were deeded to what is now the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP), which created the refuge. The KDWP later added 260 acres to the west of the refuge and in 1954, built McPherson State Fishing Lake and campground areas.

A herd of about 200 bison are managed at Maxwell Wildlife Refuge. They are descended from a starting herd of seven cows and three bulls purchased in 1951 from the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma. A small herd of elk, which once were common in Kansas, is also kept at Maxwell Wildlife Refuge.


5.0
(1)



icon-helpcenter
icon-helpcenter
icon-helpcenter
Bikemap Newsletter
Top