addalert addcircleoutline addlocation add arrow-down-left arrow-down-right arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up-right arrow-up ascent assessment bin bookmarkoutline calendar-add calendar camera caret-down caret-left caret-right caret-up check chevron-down chevron-right clock close cloud-upload cog collectionsbookmark content-view-grid content-view-list datacheckerflag1 datadownload data-upload descent directions expandhorizontal expand-horizontal-2 expand-horizontal expand-vertical eye-off eye fileadd1 filecopy filenew2 filestatisticadd2 filetaskssubtract file-images-upload fullscreenexit gauge groupadd heart home infooutline info link list-number location-pin lock logout map mobile morevertical mylocation navigateprevious navigation-drawer nearme noteadd pen pencil-write pencil personoutline pindrop place playcirclefilled playlistaddcheck power-button publish refresh remove return routes-favourites scissors search share starhalf staroutline star supervisoraccount synchronize2 text-redo time-upload timeline timer track-route trendingflat trendingup user-add users visibility vote-star-banner warning zoomin badge1 medal3 medal5 starbanner starcircle starsubtract

St Duthac's Way

146 km Distance
720 m Ascent
740 m Descent

(0 ratings)
The route from Aberdeen to St Andrews forms the second part of an expanded route which starts at Tain (Gaelic: Baile Dubhthaich, 'Duthac's town'), the shrine of St Duthac there being another former pilgrimage destination of some importance, hence ‘St Duthac’s Way’.
 
Who was St Duthac? Although little known today he was once a popular figure to whom many churches and altars were dedicated, particularly in northern and north-eastern Scotland. According to the Breviary of Aberdeen, St Duthac (1000-1065) was a native Scot. Tradition has it that he was educated in Ireland and died in Tain. A chapel was built in his honour and a sanctuary established at Tain in the 13th century, ministered by the Norbertine canons of Fearn Abbey. After many years his body was found to be incorrupt and his relics were translated to a more splendid shrine at the Collegiate Church of St Duthac, built between 1370 and 1458. The peak of the shrine's popularity as a place of pilgrimage came around 1500 with the repeated visits of King James IV. After the Reformation in 1560 the building became the parish church of Tain. The Collegiate Church is one of the finest medieval buildings in the Highlands, and inside you can see where the shrine of St Duthac would have been. ‘The Pilgrimage’ is a modern visitor centre built in a 17th century schoolhouse in the churchyard. It tells the story of medieval pilgrimage to Tain in two colourful galleries.
 
For more information, please visit www.thewayofstandrews.com

0.0
(0)



icon-helpcenter
icon-helpcenter
icon-helpcenter
Bikemap Newsletter
Top