addalert addcircleoutline addlocation add arrow-down-left arrow-down-right arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up-right arrow-up ascent assessment bin bookmarkoutline calendar-add calendar camera caret-down caret-left caret-right caret-up check chevron-down chevron-right clock close cloud-upload cog collectionsbookmark content-view-grid content-view-list datacheckerflag1 datadownload data-upload descent directions expandhorizontal expand-horizontal-2 expand-horizontal expand-vertical eye-off eye fileadd1 filecopy filenew2 filestatisticadd2 filetaskssubtract file-images-upload fullscreenexit gauge groupadd heart home infooutline info link list-number location-pin lock logout map mobile morevertical mylocation navigateprevious navigation-drawer nearme noteadd pen pencil-write pencil personoutline pindrop place playcirclefilled playlistaddcheck power-button publish refresh remove return routes-favourites scissors search share starhalf staroutline star supervisoraccount synchronize2 text-redo time-upload timeline timer track-route trendingflat trendingup user-add users visibility vote-star-banner warning zoomin badge1 medal3 medal5 starbanner starcircle starsubtract google facebook email eye-open

National Park Seminary Historic District

8 km Distance
80 m Ascent
80 m Descent

(1 rating)

A route from Four Corners to National Park Seminary Historic District.

National Park Seminary (which is named for Rock Creek National Park) started out in 1887 as "Ye Forest Inne," a summer vacation retreat for Washington, D.C., residents. The retreat did not succeed financially, and the property was redeveloped as a finishing school, opening in 1894 with a class of 48 female students.

The campus was designed by architect Emily Elizabeth Holman of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.. The architecture is eclectic and whimsical. In addition to various Victorian styles, exotic designs included a Dutch windmill, a Swiss chalet, a Japanese pagoda, an Italian villa, and an English castle.

In 1942, the property was acquired by Walter Reed Army Hospital as a medical facility for disabled soldiers. However, in the 1970s, funding for the property was cut and the buildings fell into disrepair. Many of the buildings were vandalized and the Greek Revival Odeon Theater was lost to arson in 1993. In 2003, a development team began implementing a plan to preserve the campus as the core of a new residential neighborhood, but their efforts so far seem to have been focused more on making money from condominium residents rather than repairing the historic buildings.


Bikemap Newsletter